Saturday, September 8, 2007

Touch-Me-Nots







After Dorcas's birthday cake at Mascot, she discovered a stand of touch-me-nots just twenty feet left of where she was seated, by the stream.



With the camera set on sports, here one of the pods is caught as it begins to explode. The theory of evolution generally makes sense to me as I think of dandelions in our lawn flowering at lower and lower heights to beat the mower blade.



Yet, with these flowers I have to wonder how that first pod got the idea to explode and throw its seeds farther and farther to promote the species.



Dorcas loves the date of her birthday--September 5--and associates it with going back to school (a real big whoop for her in the early days), the end of the smoothering heat of summer, and the exploding touch-me-nots, for which she traipsed through the Maple Shade woods in carefree autumn.

No comments: