Tuesday, May 13, 2008

haunted by teen years

This pic came in the mail yesterday. All these chickens of 1958-59 came home to roost last fall when the Conestoga Valley class of 1962 met for its 45th reunion. I went to CV from first grade through 10th. Then I transferred to Lancaster Mennonite. This was the first time I met with them.

I don't have a clue about most of these people. In 9th grade I was clueless about a lot of things. My maturity with girls had reached the stage that I wanted the school to burn down so that I could carry out Carolyn (I'm not sure if that's her name) and have an excuse to hold her. Wiled away many a boring geometry class planning those details of rescue.

My Monterey buddies are here--top 3rd from left, Dick Mellinger, now Dr. and head of something at Ephrata Hospital. His dad and mom still live in Monterey and dad travels around in an electric cart (previous blog). Red shirt, 3rd from right, next to top row, Gerald Reeser. He and I made a go-cart on his farm. Top far right is Fred Albright (I think was a prime mover at Lancaster Labs in the old days). Our paths crossed only in 9th and 10th grades. Far left top, pink shirt, Jack Brubaker, author of the best book on the history of the Susquehanna River and weekly columnist for the New Era. My cousin, Lois (Martin) Greene, center, black sleeveless, was a welcome friend especially in the early grades.

The only teacher I had is Mr. Wengenroth, tie and hands on knees, seated, 3rd from right. He gave me my first organ lesson and picked me to play piano with the senior bass who sang "On the Road to Mandelay," from South Pacific. The rest is a blur.
I had a very good time, connecting to people who had and have a geographic linkage to me.
Oh, me--since this is probably too small to read--top row, 5th from right.

No comments: