Monday, June 30, 2008

when I'm 64


What's it like to turn 64? It's kind of like the Beattle's song, but not much like it.
Here's what you do. Have lunch in Skippack with your family and open gifts.
Here we've made it to dessert. Son Joel is sipping his coffee and I'm contemplating devouring the pudding in the chocolate cup beside the caramelized banana slices.
Beside him you can picture Stephanie. Opposite end of table sits Ryan. Then, Sarah. Beside me, Dorcas.
Will you still be sending me...birthday greetings bottle of wine...will you still need me, will you still feed me,When I'm sixty-four (big YES)...I could be handy, mending a fuse (qualified yes)...You can knit a sweater by the fireside ('fraid not)...Sunday mornings go for a ride ('fraid not, I had just played a service at Zion,mostly music older than this schmalty song)...Doing the garden, digging the weeds,Who could ask for more(yes)...Every summer we can rent a cottage,In the Isle of Wight (how about Long Island?)
That's how you turn 64. And you thank your daughter for the photo.

No comments: