Friday, April 25, 2008

going, gone

What would you give for the 1996 Plymouth Neon? Two hours after this photo I took $800 in cash for it, standing at the AAA counter in Lancaster.

My sister Loretta bought it new when she and Patrick lived in Quarryville. About four years ago she sold it to me.

Kelly blue book lists it at $1,125. I placed a classified ad for six days, asking for $950 or best offer. With a fuel guage and speedometer on the fritz, with the a/c totally concked out ($800 repair), with it burning up oil a quart per 400 miles--hey, I'm not trying to balance out the world's finances.

There is an element of self interest. I don't want the buyer to call me in two weeks and threaten me or put guilt on me. I did feel my mother's instinct come out in the moment. It's an instinct to think an object one is selling is not really worth as much as you as asking. Why am I a used car prophet, warning the buyer of the doom to come? The headlights look like they have cataracts.

Anyway, if you want to see it, it now lives in the 100 block of East Chestnut Street, Lancaster.

No comments: